Monday, July 30, 2012

Identity Crisis

Lately, I've been feeling like I have an identity crisis brewing.  Maybe it because of Pinterest.  Maybe it is because I have been reminiscing of my single mom days and wanting to watch the Gilmore Girls.  I don't know.  But I do know that I feel like I need a change.  I want to look less like the mom who hangs out in her stylish sweatpants all day, and more like the women whose style I admire.  In the past few months, I've stopped wearing makeup, and barely style my hair.  Definitely NOT the woman my husband married almost five years ago.  Back then I had long blonde hair and always wore makeup.  I also worked out.  Now I have reddish brown hair, and although I try, I am lucky if I get a jog in every two weeks.
So, I've been looking for ideas on Pinterest.  I've never been a fashionista, but I do like to look nice.  And now thanks to Polyvore and Pinterest, I can find outfit ideas already put together, right down to the accessories, as well as hairstyle ideas and how-to tutorials for makeup application.  Of course, our family budget doesn't exactly allow a lot of new clothes, but stylish pieces can be bought on sale at various stores in our area, and just one or two pieces may be just what I need to make me feel stylish again.
As for my hair, well, I can't have it highlighted right now, and I learned that doing it at home is not something I can do well.  (The last time I tried, I ended up looking like a spotted leopard and had to make an emergency trip to my stylist.)  So for now, I will just have to be more diligent about styling it in different ways.
Working out is going to be a challenge, that is for sure.  But if I want to run in some 5K's this year and in the Spartan Race with my husband next summer, I need to figure out a way to work this in to my busy schedule. Sometimes I wish my sister or sister-in-law lived in my neighborhood so we could go on jogs together.  But maybe we could each keep an online log of our workouts and inspire each other that way.
Anyway, here are some of my favorite "style" things from Pinterest:

Peachy Spring outfit
Polyvore.com
Green Stripes, created by hollie29
hollie29, polyvore.com
So comfy and cute!
fashionworship.com
Cute!
kristen-344.polyvore.com
15 Short Hair Cuts That Scream CHIC (Not MOM)!    The Shab   As in part shag, part bob - which is how Diana Agron (of Glee) describes her hair to Cosmo magazine. Apparently she uses a little volume mousse and dry shampoo before letting it air dry. (Easy!)
blogs.babble.com
Want to see more of what I've been finding on Pinterest?  Click on the Follow Me icon on the right side of the page.  And please feel free to share where you find your style inspiration in the comments below!

No comments: